Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Whirlwind Infatuation

Sometimes, things move glacially...

...and other times, they move with almost blinding speed.  It seems strange to think of how rapidly my perspective has changed in the past 24 hours.

Just four days ago, I posted an article in reference to sensor sizes, and spent much of it referring to enthusiast compact cameras, and to a lesser degree, SLR's.  In the article, I posted links to a number of competing compact cameras that I thought were pretty suitable for transit photography.  

I made one tiny side-step reference of a single paragraph to an emerging format called Micro 4/3's but simultaneously expressed some dismissal of the format as being cost prohibitive compared to larger sensor compacts and DSLR's.  

Tonight, I eat those words with a well seasoned helping of crow.  

I am now a Micro 4/3's Camera Owner, and proud of it.

Yes, I'm a mixed bag of contradictions and reversals.  Perhaps it's a Libra thing. More fittingly, and more likely, it's a cost thing.

The Sony RX-100 was growing on me. The fast lens and the large sensor just seemed perfect, but at the same time, I was a bit less enamored at paying upwards of $600 for Sony's toy.  As I browsed the internet last night, a bored little voice in my head sent me looking at Craigslist, and that's when I saw it in the Photo-Video section - my next camera.  

I am now the owner of an Olympus PEN E-PL2, a 2011 model camera that sports a 1.33" inch sensor, and comes with a 14-42mm lens that should cover most situations.  The lens is interchangeable, so I may add a fast "prime" lens as well as an extended zoom.  

Considering the camera was $125 compared to over $500 for a new one, it was a complete no-brainer.  Reading reviews, there are many others who are developing a fondness with this new format, though I don't know if any adopted it quite as quickly as myself.  

I will be sure to try to give this nice, svelte camera a run through its paces tomorrow and report back.  Curious to see how this infatuation proceeds.   

Meanwhile, keep that crow warm for me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment